New week, new recipe!
Here’s one for a Bloomin’ Onion:
What you’ll need:
For Dipping Sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp ketchup
- 2 tsp creamed horseradish
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp dried oregano
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1 dash cayenne
For Seasoned flour
- 2 cups flour
- 4 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 24 oz beer
- 4 Vedalia onions
- Mix all ingredients for dipping sauce well, cover and place in refrigerator for at least two hours.
- Combine all ingredients Seasoned Flour – mix well.
- Mix all dry ingredients for batter – until blended.
- Add beer to dry mixture and mix well.
- Take each onion and cut about 3/4 inch off top then peel.
- Cut onion into 12-16 vertical wedges. Be careful not to cut through bottom root end.
- Remove about 1 inch of petals from center of onion.
- Place cut onions in cold water for a couple hours to open up.
- Once they’ve opened sufficiently remove from water, drain them well.
- Dip in seasoned flour, gently shaking to remove the excess flour.
- Separate petals to coat thoroughly with batter.
- Gently place in a fryer basket and deep fry at 375-400 degrees for 1 1/2 minutes.
- Turn over and fry another 1 1/2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Place onion upright in a shallow bowl.
- Remove center core with a circular cutter or apple corer.
- Serve hot with dipping sauce.
Wow…great job! It looks delicious!
Thanks, Sean! I hope you enjoy it!