What you’ll need:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 egg separated
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup cornflakes cereal
- 4 different kinds of tart apples (granny smith, golden delicious, honeycrisp and fuji) to equal 8 cups
- 3 Tbls butter cut into thin pats
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbls vanilla extract
- 2 Tbls cream or milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl stir together flour and salt.
- Cut in shortening.
- Separate egg
- In a glass measuring cup, lightly beat egg yolk then add in milk to total 2/3 cup liquid.
- Add liquid to dry ingredients and mix well, until it becomes dough.
- Divide in half.
- Roll half of dough between two lightly floured pieces of plastic wrap or waxed paper.
- Once dough has reached an approximate 18″ x 12″ rectangular shape, place into greased 15″ x 10″ x 1″ inch pan. The dough should cover bottom and up sides, like a pie crust.
- Cover dough with corn flake cereal
- Top with the apples.
- Place pats of butter on apple layer.
- Combine cinnamon and sugar, then sprinkle over apples.
- Roll out remaining dough to a rectangle shape to cover dish.
- Seal edges and cut slits in the top for steam to escape.
- Beat the egg white until stiff then brush over the top of crust.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
- While cooling, mix all ingredients for glaze.
- While still warm, top with glaze.
Serve warm. Top with vanilla ice cream for an extra special treat!