Last night my daughter made the best pork chops! It was a wonderful break from the kitchen for me and the recipe was truly a keeper!
What you’ll need:
- 5 thick pork chops
- Cannola oil
- 3 tbls brown sugar
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3 tbls unsalted butter
- 3 granny smith apples (tart apples), peeled, cored and sliced.
- Pecans (optional)
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat a large skillet over high heat.
- Brush chops lightly with oil. Salt and pepper to taste. Place in hot pan.
- Cook each side 5-6 minutes.
- Transfer to glass baking dish and place in preheated oven.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes. Time may vary depending on thickness of chops. For thin chops time will be shorter.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, salt and pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Add butter to skillet and stir in brown sugar mixture and apples.
- Cover and cook over medium heat until apples are tender.
- Once chops are fully cooked, turn down the heat to 175 degrees.
- Remove chops from oven and top with apples. Place back in oven to keep warm until ready to serve.
- Once ready to serve, place on plate and top with pecans.
Fall is in the air. How about some wonderful Harvest Sweet Potatoes –
What you’ll need:
- 5 large sweet potatoes (about 5 lb. worth)
- 3 Golden Delicious apples
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tspn ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- Wash sweet potatoes. Place on a baking sheet and prick with fork. Bake at 400° for 1 hour or until almost tender. Remove from oven. Let stand 45 minutes or until cooled.
- Peel and core apples. Slice apples into 1/3″ thick wedges.
- In a bowl, toss apple slices with half of lemon juice, set aside.
- Once potatoes are cooled, peel and slice to 1/3″ thick.
- In a greased 13″ x 9″ baking dish, arrange apples and potatoes alternating slices.
- Pour second half of lemon juice over potatoes and apples.
- Combine brown sugar, honey, butter, bourbon, cinnamon and ginger in a saucepan. Stir well.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally; boil 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat.
- Promptly pour glaze over potatoes and apples.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Baste tops with the glaze from the bottom of dish.
- Sprinkle nuts across top.
- Bake another 14 -16 more minutes or until apples look roasted.
- Baste one more time right before serving.
- Serves 10 – 12
Courtesy: Christmas with Southern Living 2008, Oxmoor House 2008